Starting on October the 1st, 2017, I am a postdoctoral researcher at Finale Doshi-Velez group at SEAS Harvard. I obtained my PhD at University Carlos III in Madrid in September 2017, under the supervision of Fernando Perez-Cruz.
My research focuses on Bayesian nonparametric models for data exploration, with direct impact for personalized medicine and biomedical applications. My interests include modeling of high dimensional/structured data, sparse latent feature models, fast DP/IBP inference, scalable MCMC and variational inference approaches, dependent random measures. See my CV for further information about me.
- October 1st, 2017: I have started my postdoc in the group of Finale Doshi-Velez at Harvard University.
- September 15th, 2017: I defended my PhD thesis successfully. Thanks to all colleagues and family for their support! [thesis] [slides]
- September 13th, 2017: I gave an invited talk at BBVA Data & Analytics in Madrid: "Bayesian Nonparametrics for Data Exploration: An Application to International Trade".
- August 10th, 2017: we got the Best Paper Award at 2017 ICML Workshop on Human Interpretability in Machine Learning (WHI 2017), Sydney, NSW, Australia: "General Latent Feature Modeling for Data Exploration Tasks". [paper]
- June 27th, 2017: Poster presentation at the Bayesian Nonparametrics Workshop in Paris: "Dynamic Poisson Factorization Model for the Productive Structure of Economies". [poster]
- March 17th, 2017: I gave an invited talk at the Audiovisual Communications Lab in EPFL, Lausanne: "A Bayesian Non-parametric Approach to Understand World Economies" [slides].
- January 10th, 2017: Code for our work "General Bayesian Nonparametric Latent Feature Model" has been released at Github. [link]
- Dec 09th, 2016: I have given a Contributed Talk at the Practical Bayesian Non-parametrics at NIPS 2016, Barcelona: "Sparse 3-parameter Restricted Indian Buffet Process to Understand International Trade". [slides]
- June 2016: I am visiting the research group of Kristel Van Steen, in the Medical Genomics department at the University of Liège.
- February 2016: Science diffusion activities in 3 high schools in Madrid.
- May 2016: I have co-organized the Workshop: ¨Big data in human genetics: opportunities and challenges?¨ at the European Society of Human Genomics 2016. I also gave a talk: "Bayesian modeling for biomarker discovery in clinical trials". [slides]
- April 9th, 2015: Our technical patent at Sony has been accepted in the USA patent office! (further information below)
- February 5th, 2015: Invited talk at the Machine Learning weekly seminars, in the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York [slides].
- In 2015, I was a visiting student research collaborator for 9 months at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York, under the supervision of Gunnar Rätsch. In summer 2015, I did a research internship at Roche Innovation Center, New York.
- Isabel Valera, Melanie F. Pradier, Maria Lomeli, and Zoubin Ghahramani, "GLFM: General Latent Feature Modeling Toolbox", submitted to JMLR Machine Learning Open Source Software, 2017.
- Melanie F. Pradier, Bernhard Reis, Lori Jukofsky, Francesca Milletti, Toshihiko Ohtomo, Fernando Perez-Cruz, and Oscar Puig, "Indian Buffet Process identifies NK cell biomarkers as predictors of response to codrituzumab", submitted to BMC Cancer, 2017.
- Zoran Utkovski, Melanie F. Pradier, Viktor Stojkoski, Fernando Perez-Cruz, and Ljupco Kocarev, "Economic Complexity Unfolded: Interpretable Model for the Productive Structure of Economies", submitted to PLoS One, 2017. [arxiv]
- Isabel Valera, Melanie F. Pradier, and Zoubin Ghahramani, "General Bayesian Nonparametric Latent Feature Model" (submitted to Journal of Machine Learning Research) [arxiv] [software]
- Melanie F. Pradier, Pablo M. Olmos, and Fernando Perez-Cruz, "Entropy-Constrained Scalar Quantization with a Lossy-Compressed Bit", Entropy 2016, 18(12), 449; doi: 10.3390/e18120449. [ pdf]
- Melanie F. Pradier, Francisco J. R. Ruiz and Fernando Perez-Cruz, “Prior Design for Dependent Dirichlet Process: An Application to Marathon Modeling” , Plos ONE 2016. [pdf] [poster]
Workshop and Conference Publications
- Melanie F. Pradier, Viktor Stojkoski, Zoran Utkovski, Lujupco Kocarev and Fernando Perez-Cruz. "Sparse Three-parameter Restricted Indian Buffet Process for Understanding International Trade", In submission to International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing 2018 (ICASSP 2018).
- Isabel Valera, Melanie F. Pradier, and Zoubin Ghahramani. "General Latent Feature Modeling for Data Exploration Tasks", Best Paper Award at 2017 ICML Workshop on Human Interpretability in Machine Learning (ICML 2017). [arxiv]
- Melanie F. Pradier, and Fernando Perez-Cruz. “Infinite Mixture of Global Gaussian Processes ”, Paper at Bayesian Non-parametric: the Next Generation Workshop in Neural Information Processing Systems Conference (NIPS 2015). [pdf] [supp] [poster]
- Melanie F. Pradier, Stefan Stark, Stephanie Hyland, Julia E. Vogt, Gunnar Rätsch, and Fernando Perez-Cruz.“Large-Scale Sentence Clustering from Electronic Health Records for Genetic Associations in Cancer”, Paper + Spotlight Talk at Machine Learning for Computational Biology Workshop in Neural Information Processing Systems Conference 2015 (NIPS 2015). [pdf]
- Melanie F. Pradier, Theofanis Karaletsos, Stefan Stark, Julia E. Vogt, Gunnar Rätsch, and Fernando Perez-Cruz. “Bayesian Poisson Factorization for Genetic Associations with Clinical Features in Cancer”, Accepted Abstract at Machine Learning for Healthcare Workshop in Neural Information Processing Systems Conference 2015 (NIPS 2015). [pdf] [poster]
- Melanie F. Pradier, Pablo G. Moreno, Francisco J. R. Ruiz, Isabel Valera, Harold Molina-Bulla, and Fernando Perez-Cruz. "Map/Reduce Uncollapsed Gibbs Sampling for Bayesian Non Parametric Models", Paper + Contributed Talk at Workshop in Software Engineering for Machine Learning in Neural Information Processing Systems Conference 2014 (NIPS 2014). [pdf] [poster] [software]
Teaching at University Carlos III in Madrid
- Year 2016-2017:
- "Digital Communications", 4th year of Bachelor's Degree in Audiovisual System Engineering (both theory and exercises).
- "Digital Communications", 4th year of Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science and Engineering (both theory and exercises).
- Year 2015-2016: "Linear Systems and Circuits", 1st year of Bachelor's Degree in Telecommunication Technologies Engineering (exercises).
- M. F. Pradier (in collaboration with N. Kamimaeda, M. Miyahara, T. Tsunoda, K. Kanemoto, and S. Doi) "Wiki-explore: Adaptive Serious Game and Online Learning Device". Sony Corporation R&D Tokyo, Japan: WO/2014/017164. Publication Date: January, 1st, 2014.
- M. F. Pradier (in collaboration with N. Kamimaeda, M. Miyahara, T. Tsunoda, K. Kanemoto, and S. Doi) "Information Processing Device to Support Learning of Knowledge". Publication Number in United States: 20150099254. Publication Date: April, 9, 2015.